As we move into October and Autumn approaches there is just something I love about comfort food at this time of year. Salad days are gone and we can have food with a little more substance. This cake may be eaten cold but as the nights get darker I love it served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Preparation: 20 mins | Cooking Time: 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hrs | Serves: 10 - 12 slices
175g/6oz butter or margarine
175g/6oz brown sugar
3 large eggs
250g/8oz wholemeal self raising flavour
450g/1 lb cooking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
Juice 1/2 lemon
25g- 50g/1 - 2oz brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 180oC / 160oc (fan) / Gas Mark 4
2. Cream together the butter or margarine and the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then beat in the eggs one at a time adding 1tbsp of the flour after each addition.
3. Fold the remaining flour into the mixture, and add a few drops of almond essence.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the apple slices, lemon juice, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
5. Pour two thirds of the mixture into a greased and bottom-lined 20cm/8in tin.
6. Place the apple mixture on top, leaving a space around the edge.
7. Top with the remaining mixture, taking cake to fill in around the edge and then sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
8. Bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours; if the top starts top brown cover with a piece of greaseproof paper.
Michelle Shulman is the owner of La Belle Cake Company and the founder of La Belle Academy.
Michelle's cake creations have won multiple awards and she has demonstrated cake decorating at the Ideal Home Show and the Cake and Bake Show. Her previous clients include numerous celebrities as well as royalty. Her work has featured on TV including Channel 4 and Sky TV and she has also featured on Red and Huffington Post.
Michelle’s business accolades include Self Employed Person of the year and Enterprising Business of the year. In 2018 Michelle established La Belle Academy to help fellow cake makers turn their passion into profit as well as further enhancing their cake decorating skills.
Michelle lives in Bedfordshire with her Husband and 2 daughters and travels the country delivering bespoke cakes, teaching cake decorating and coaching fellow cake makers.