I am so excited to join the Coco Lane team and wanted my first recipe to be something special. This is a treasured recipe from my childhood handed down from my beloved Nan, to my mum and now me. My memories of this cake are of my Mum in the kitchen baking this every Sunday and we would have a slice in our lunchbox every day. I use to eat it in such a way I would save the sugar topping for last.
It is a deliciously light cake with a wonderfully refreshing flavour that is perfect for these beautifully sunny days we have been having.
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES COOK TIME: 50 MINUTES SERVES: 12 SLICES
• 175g/6oz butter or margarine
• 175g/6oz caster sugar
• 3 large eggs
• 175g/6oz self-raising flavour
• 1 1/2 tbsps lemon curd
• Grated zest of 1 large lemon
• 40g/1 1/2oz ground almonds
• Juice 1/2 lemon
• 25g/1oz demerara sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180oC / 160oc (fan) / Gas Mark 4
2. Cream together the butter or margarine and the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then beat in the eggs one at a time adding 1tbsp of the flour after each addition. Beat in the lemon curd.
3. Fold the remaining flour into the mixture, then stir in the lemon zest and ground almonds.
4. Pour the mixture into a greased and bottom-lined 1kg/2lb loaf tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until it is well risen and a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
5. Leave the cake for 5 mins then turn out.
6. Combine the lemon juice and Demerara sugar and pour the mixture over the warm cake, then set aside to cool on a wire rack.
Photography: Claire Graham Photography
Michelle Shulman is the owner of La Belle Cake Company and the founder of La Belle Academy.
Michelle's cake creations have won multiple awards and she has demonstrated cake decorating at the Ideal Home Show and the Cake and Bake Show. Her previous clients include numerous celebrities as well as royalty. Her work has featured on TV including Channel 4 and Sky TV and she has also featured on Red and Huffington Post.
Michelle’s business accolades include Self Employed Person of the year and Enterprising Business of the year. In 2018 Michelle established La Belle Academy to help fellow cake makers turn their passion into profit as well as further enhancing their cake decorating skills.
Michelle lives in Bedfordshire with her Husband and 2 daughters and travels the country delivering bespoke cakes, teaching cake decorating and coaching fellow cake makers.