To me nothing says Christmas like the smell of freshly baked gingerbread. Every year the kids and I make a Gingerbread House. It’s become somewhat of a family tradition that I would love to share with you.
500g plain flour
250g soft brown sugar
5tsp ground ginger
75ml fresh milk
150ml black treacle
100g bar white chocolate
Sweets and ready to pipe icing to decorate
1. Place flour and ginger in a bowl and mix together. Make a well in the centre.
2. Put butter, milk, sugar and treacle in a small saucepan and heat gently, stirring until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and cool for 2 mins.
3. Pour warm mixture info dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon into a soft ball/
4. Leave mixture to cool until firm to touch.
5. Roll out on a floured work surface until 0.5cm thick. Using the templates cut out two walls, two roof panels and a front and a back panel.
6. Transfer to greased baking sheets allowing room for them to spread. Place the baking sheets in the fridge for 15 mins.
7. Whilst they are chilling in fridge preheat oven to 180oC/350oF/Gas Mark 4.
8. Bake for 10-15mins until firm and just a little darker at the edges. Leave to cool for 5 mins and transfer to a cooling rack.
1. Melt 25g white chocolate and use as glue to secure the wall pieces together. Allow to dry.
2. Melt 25g white chocolate and use to fix the roof panels on. You will have to hold these firmly in place until the chocolate starts to set. Allow to dry.
3. Melt the remaining chocolate and spread on the plate you are using to present the gingerbread house. Place the gingerbread house on the plate and allow to dry.
4. Decorate with ready to pipe icing and sweets of your choice.
Template for house pieces - https://www.labellecakecompany.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Gingerbread-House-Template.pdf
Michelle Shulman is the owner of La Belle Cake Company and the founder of La Belle Academy.
Michelle's cake creations have won multiple awards and she has demonstrated cake decorating at the Ideal Home Show and the Cake and Bake Show. Her previous clients include numerous celebrities as well as royalty. Her work has featured on TV including Channel 4 and Sky TV and she has also featured on Red and Huffington Post.
Michelle’s business accolades include Self Employed Person of the year and Enterprising Business of the year. In 2018 Michelle established La Belle Academy to help fellow cake makers turn their passion into profit as well as further enhancing their cake decorating skills.
Michelle lives in Bedfordshire with her Husband and 2 daughters and travels the country delivering bespoke cakes, teaching cake decorating and coaching fellow cake makers.